This giant sugar cookie with cinnamon roll filling as a topping is cinnamon sugar perfection straight out of the oven.
Dear baking world,
First an apology. The past few weeks have been crazy. I’ve had a big paper due and lots of finals on my plate to study for. Hopefully when finals are over and summer rolls around, I will be able to post about twice a week. I digress…
Sometimes, baked goods are best when they’ve sat overnight and marinated in their own deliciousness. Some baked goods, like this one, are perfection straight out of the oven when its warm and melty and full of cinnamon deliciousness.
So what is this peculiar specimen? It’s a giant sugar cookie baked with a layer of cinnamon roll filling on top. Yes, you can imagine what I did when this came out of the oven.
This sugar cookie recipe is my favorite sugar cookie recipe. It’s based off of the Paradise Bakery Sugar cookie recipe. They’re super tender, melty and delicious and basically my idea of what is a perfect sugar cookie. But just like my vanilla cupcakes, there is always a caveat for favorite: it’s my own idea and construct of what is the best sugar cookie and it may be very different from what your’s is.
So why a giant cookie? Well, why not? I originally imagined to make a sugar cookie roll with cinnamon filling in the middle, but this seemed like a much better idea. It was a cinnamon cookie pie.
There is no chilling required for this recipe (although I’ve done it and the cookies were delicious.) However, you can make this and throw it directly into the oven.
Seriously, if you want to dine on a true delicious delicacy (props for alliteration) go make this giant cookie now. It’s amazing and hits the spot. You can eat it straight out of the heaven, which is pure heaven, or you can wait until it’s room temperature and that’s amazing too. Enjoy!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup or two sticks butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 1/3 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cinnamon roll topping:
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- In a big bowl, cream together the shortening and butter to combine. Then, add the granulated and powdered sugars. Add the vanilla and the egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until thoroughly mix. Then add slowly to the wet ingredients. This is a bulky recipe, so make you add slowly.
- Now you have two options: 1. split the dough until thirds and place each third into a separate 8″ or 9″ pan. Or 2. put the all of dough in a large 8″ by 11″ pan to make a cookie bar.
- For the topping:
- Melt the butter in the microwave. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon, stir well.
- Evenly distribute the topping over the cookie.
- If you’re baking in 8″ or 9″ pans, bake until the edges get slightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- If you’re baking in a large 8″ by 11″ pan, bake until the edges are slightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or cooled off! It’s great either way.